Mummy’s belated birthday dinner at Din Tai Fung. Kh was there and after being together for 5+ years, I think that was the 2nd time we ate out together as a family. She was very happy that day. I was too. I’m always pissing her off (and she pissing me off) that when I see her beaming, I was beaming inside too.
Our table was too small to contain all the dishes.
My mother actually requested for me not to put up her photo anywhere coz she was not photogenic that day. However, I thought that candid photo of she and my dad smiling is very cute. 2 ah laos smile till cannot see the eyes. I wish they would always be like this.
I love the pretty and colourful illustration on the BreadTalk cake box!
My mother asked me to keep the box but the sides had got cream.
After persuading me to watch her dance class for years, I finally relented and agreed to do so. Firstly, I wanted to please her on her birthday and secondly they were learning Samba (happening!) then. Since the cc was a stone’s throw away, it wouldn’t take up much time. Kh and I was actually planning to catch a movie but sweet kh agreed to watch the dance lesson with me. I could see that my mum was really delighted. She has always been suggesting for kh and me to take up dancing.
It was only at the studio that I learned how well my mum dances. I dunno about my dad coz from what I witness, he’s always quite clumsy and would never fail to get scolding from my mum whenever they practise at home. Apparently, he is supposed to be a very good dancer too. They weren’t there as students but as helpers for the teacher. I have people coming up to me and asking me why hadn’t I learned dancing. A few others commented that my parents are such good dancers. And the majority of them kept commenting on how much I look like my mum and I should take after her!
I wanna learn some form of dance… SIGH... when I have the time.
Seafood Dinner at Mellben
Seafood dinner was the consensus but to head up north to the Malaysian border or just north to AMK was the question. A dictator rose among the procrastinators and suggested the famous Mellben Seafood.
That was my first time there. My parents and da jie raved about their crab bee hoon and butter crab. The last time we went there as a family, it was too crowded so we ate at his brother’s kopitiam just across the road. The food was so-so. I would never expect Mellben’s food to be even more so-so than his borther's, to be polite.
Clockwise from top left: feng1 liu2 ji1???, kangkong, some half-eaten 8 treasure thingy, beef or was it deer?
Their dishes really weren’t nice. My parents could cook better and I think our great cook-out dishes 2 years ago were much more delicious than these right?
I don’t know if my tastebuds weren’t working well but even the crab wasn’t exactly fantastic.
The texture of flesh was indicative of its freshness but the taste was nothing to shout about.
We did not order any butter crab as somebody in the group hates anything butter. Lalala…
NOw we know, we should just eat dinner elsewhere and go there for the crabs.
After the dinner, We went to have some ice-cream at Serangoon Gardens. That was when wq the avid photographer whipped out his extraordinarily large and heavy photo album which contained all our JC memories. He really put us gals to shame with his ornately decorated “scrapbook look-alike” album. Little notes filled with his impeccable cursive handwriting were plastered haphazardly yet artistically on some pages of the album. WAH!!! All my tangible photos from 1999 are still piled in stacks, slotted in envelopes and bundled together accordingly to events with some loose ones here and there in my drawer, while all my soft copy photos from 2001 onwards are still not developed! I’m such a mess!
The gals pouring over the good ol times.
TCC with evan
Finally met with with that crazy evan again. I think the night wasn’t enough to fill a few month’s of gossips. I missed you!
Had wanted to do a collage of these but the photos kept blocking each other. Picasa should look into this. Too bad I’m lousy at photoshop so have to make do with picasa for now.
I Hate My Hair
I dyed my hair a darker shade 2 weeks ago and I absolutely loveD it! It was sooooo difficult to capture the exact colour of my hair on camera so I gave up. It looked quite black at night but was kinda ash dark brown under light. The dark brown seeped into my previously porous blondish parts and turned to an ash tone. It was such an accidental but nice colour. Even the fashion-unconscious kh could actually recognise that it was “ash” and it was the colour he wanted to dye.
However, after washing (even with a shampoo for coloured hair)…
My hair became quite yellow again!!! And because my black roots and yellow length contrasted so much, it was impossible to get a single colour on my whole crown with any kinds of brown, except black. Almost nobody could tell I coloured my hair coz it has faded to quite a light tone by now and my black roots are still showing, just that they are dark brown.
Also, my curls have lost their elasticity and bounce that my hair looked neither wavy nor straight. It’s just horrid la.
I am wondering if I should:
1) Perm bigger curls just like D&D.
- My stylist assured me that she would not further damage my hair and advised me it is not as damaging as compared to twirling and plaiting my inelastic hair everyday just to get curls.
- She said this is not as damaging as rebonding since the bonds in my hair are already “curled bonds”.
- I’m still liking the permed hair look.
- Further chemicals added
- Possibility of more damaged hair
- Possibily of perming lotion lightening my colour even more which may lead to:
- Wasting of money to dye again
- Adding even more colour chemicals on top of perming chemicals
2) Rebond my hair, dye it black and leave it alone for 2 years.
- Rebonded hair is fuss free
- kh likes me with smooth straight hair
- Imagine the amount of money I could save!
- Saving lots of styling time.
- The comfort of sleeping and waking up to perfect hair that falls in place
- The illusion of hair looking better when it is damaged straight than damaged curled
- I miss tying up my hair into a pony tail
- I hate poker straight hair
- Rebonding is actually very damaging.
- Stylist said my hair will just break by the bundles if I rebond it
- I’m slowly trying to get used to living with black hair (Those who know me know how I cannot live with black hair)
3) Leave the damn hair alone!
- It's the least damaging decision
- I can stop weighing the pros and cons
- The state of it is too ugly to be left alone
Why do I ponder over such frivolous stuff when children in Ethiopia are starving?